3 Parents Love It!
531 Elm St
Milford , NH 03055
The Milford Drive-In was built in 1958 and owned by a local group of people. Several area contractors contributed labor and materials during construction hoping for a share of future profits. The drive-in opened as a single screen theater with an 84-foot wooden frame screen, a combination concession, projection, and restroom building, a box office, and a playground. During the 1960’s the drive-in was leased to and managed by another couple.
In 1969, the Scharmett family purchased the drive-in from the original owners and they have operated it continuously since then, except for three years during the 1970’s when the business was leased to Fall River Theater Corporation. Some of the many improvements the Scharmett’s have made over the years include: completely renovating the concession and restrooms, installing a new steel screen to replace the original wooden structure, building a new marquee, building a new box office, paving the entrance road, and being the first drive-in in New Hampshire to provide both AM and FM radio sound to its customers.
In 1984, the drive-in became a twin when additional acreage was cleared and a second screen was added. A second floor was constructed above the original building to provide room for a new projection room. At the same time, the drive-in’s projection equipment was upgraded and continues to be upgraded to meet the growing technology demands of a modern operation.
Today, the Milford Drive-In is the only remaining drive-in theater in southern New Hampshire. Our patrons often drive from great distances just to enjoy the nostalgia, fun times, great food, and first-run movies under the stars.